Fitness 101: Starting a Routine & Sticking to a Healthy Lifestyle
From a very young age we are taught to live a healthy life; eating healthy and exercising regularly. The advantages of doing this are clear, good mood, strong body, strong immune system (meaning that you don't get sick easily) and weight control (this alone means you've already taken care of hundreds of health issues, like cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.) No need to talk about the disadvantages of not exercising or having a healthy lifestyle.
We can talk and talk about how good staying healthy and exercising is, but we all know this is much easier said than done. (Specially when you don't have P.E. anymore o a gym membership). There are still plenty of ways in which you can exercise and stay healthy. Check out these few tips on both topics to get some ideas on how to stay healthy:
Here's a list of 5 good apps that will help you track your progress and will motivate you to stay active, whatever that is, some people like running, while others enjoy zumba. So find the one that fits your needs:
1. MapMyRun free; iOS & Android Tracks distance, time, pace and estimated calories burned. It will trace your running routes on a map and save those routes for use later. If you're in a route, you can check out Nearby Routes to see where others are running.
2. Strava free; iOS & Android This app is best for runners who are inspired by stats, numbers and comparisons, and mostly, you must be inspired by competition.
3. Nike+ free; iOS & Android This app gives you week-by-week workouts to work toward specific goals. After you record a workout, this app will save a map of your route, as well as your time, pace, elevation change and calories burned.
4. Workout Trainer free; iOS & Android This app lets you browse through thousands of free workouts with step-by-step audio and video instructions. You can use this app to start your activity or to sculpt your six pack abs.
5. 7-Minute Workout free; iOS & Android Whether you're a beginner or a personal trainer, you'll appreciate this app. It originally gives you 7-minute workouts, and as you develop your resistance, routines will vary in duration and intensity.
Sticking to a routine or just exercising regularly (at least 30-minutes a day) will help you tremendously, but what will also help you reach your weight loss goals, or just becoming a healthier individual, is making healthier decisions. This includes what you choose to eat, how many hours you decide to sleep every night, how many cups of water you drink and when, etc. All these things are not hard to do, however, you will need to remind yourself to do them on time, and after a while they'll come naturally to you. You can do this!
Here are a few tips on how to stay healthy (in general):
1. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day, and stretch every morning (let your body know you're AWAKE!)
2. Plan your meals and snacks (so you don't encounter the "it's 1pm, I'm starving, I'll just grab a burger" problem)
3. Never skip a meal (the secret isn't not eating, it's actually on eating multiple times a day, just healthy foods. Fruits, veggies, nuts, plenty of water, etc. Ps. This is also the perfect time to try some veggies you've never had before, or cool healthy recipes you see on Pinterest, like the zucchini lasagna.... Talk about healthy substitutions!)
4. Sleep 8 hours every night (although the amount of hours will depend on your lifestyle and overall health, it's recommended that you sleep 8 hours every night)
5. Get rid of sugar (I know, I know. This is definitely a process and not something you do from one day to another, but keep in mind that artificial sugar isn't doing anything for you, actually, it's hurting you. So start by making better decisions; don't drink soda, grab water instead. Don't eat pop-tarts for breakfast, grab an apple instead. Small changes will make a huge difference!)
6. Find friends who have similar goals (You may want to stay healthy and active, while your friend may want to lose weight. Either way, doing this with a friend, spouse or family member will make the adventure much, much easier)
7. Laugh often. (Healthy minds will have a healthy body. Find humor in your life and work on being truly happy, and believe me, exercising your body will also help you find this "true happiness" everyone talks about!)
What are some of the things you currently do to stay healthy? Share your tips and tricks in the comment section below! :)
Leave a comment